Friday 3 June 2011

Charcoal Drawings

As expected, I was able to draw yesterday but tried more charcoal this time. Using newsprint paper helps since I’m not pressured to create something good compared to when I’m using a more expensive paper.

I drew the trees upside down as it’s easier to move the charcoal stick downwards. I was feeding my son while drawing the tree keeping in mind not to pickup his food using the hand full of charcoal.


I wanted to do something different so I grabbed my art books and look for something I could copy. Now I know why one needs an easel. Putting your paper, especially a big one, on the table affects how you view the drawing. It may look good while the drawing is laying flat on the table but you’ll see the wrong proportions once you paste the drawing on the wall. But then again, I wasn’t expecting anything spectacular. The important things is that I was able to draw and learned something new.


I had more time so I decided to draw another one. I have a Lee Hammond book, Drawing Realistic Pets, so I just chose a drawing to copy. This is my first time to draw a cat and I found drawing fur challenging. I probably should have done some exercises first on drawing fur first instead of drawing the cat right away. The important thing is that the drawing looks like a cat and I believe that I was able to give it some volume.


I’m looking forward to the Plein Air sessions our art society is having from June to September. Although the sessions are scheduled on mid-day Tuesdays, I was able to have an arrangement at work so I could draw with the group for at least 2 hours each week.

No comments:

Post a Comment