Tuesday 14 June 2011

Pencil Portrait

I had to take a break from acrylic painting and drawing still life. I found a magazine and started drawing portrait for a change. I wanted to see how concepts like shadow rendering and negative space applies when drawing portraits. It was a pain to prepare the grid but it was something I had to do.


More adjustments were done as I started adding shadows. I tried to be more careful on adding values but I believe I need lots of practice on simpler subjects. I am satisfied with the result even if it's not yet finished. Again, the objective is not to create a "masterpiece" but more on applying what I've learned and at the same time exploring the possibilities.


This is still a work in progress.

Today is the first day of the plein air session but I wasn't able to go because my son had a doctor's appointment. The session in weekly so I still have a lot of chance to go to even one session. The closer to the office the better since I have an 8am-5pm job.

1 comment:

  1. Its something I like to explore in my drawing work too -the light and dark and the negative also , this is looking good!!

    ReplyDelete